Tuesday, August 31, 2004

What's in a name?

This blog is not meant to be negetive about the contents of the USA PATRIOT Act. I just couldn't believe when I heard on the news that the title actually stands for an acronym.

The USA PATRIOT Act: Preserving Life and Liberty
(Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism)

It just amazes me to think of the time and effort that went into coming up with that name. I wonder which came first, the name or the acronym. After a little research, I found that the "PATRIOT ACT" was a house bill introduced on October 2nd, 2001 and the "USA" act was a senate bill intoduced on October 5th, 2001. On October 25th the "USA PATRIOT ACT" was passed. It was a combination of the two original bills. I don't know if any Senators or Representatives were directly involved with coming up with the name, but I hope they were concentrating more on the meat than the title.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Thank you helping to keep us safe and free.

Sean Dustman said...

Welcome to the Milblogsphere! Just came back to the states, take care out there

Unknown said...

I just wanted to give you a big hug and send some thanks.

My brother is also a helicopter pilot. He returned from Iraq in May, and he is going back in March.

Stay safe.
xxxooo