Saturday, August 21, 2004

Security

I've had this thought several times while walking around outside on quiet nights. I can't believe how safe I feel walking around my camp, by myself, at night, in the middle of Iraq. I can't say that nothing ever happens here, but when I think about how I would feel walking around at night, by myself, in just about anywhere in the States, it just amazes me. I think I am more afraid back home of someone mugging, murdering, harassing, etc me or my family members than having a mortar or rocket land next to me out here. I don't think about it much at home, I just stay away from situations that are hazardous, but now it is really sad that most people can't have that freedom of security anymore. It has nothing to do with terrorism, just our society. I definitely will continue to enjoy staring at the stars and walking on warm summer nights in the middle of Iraq.

3 comments:

Darnell Clayton said...

That is pretty strange when you think about it. Selah!

Paul G. said...

I'm sorry you don't feel safe back here at home.

Your own fault from the sound of it though.
I sit on my porch at night.
I approach cars that drive through the neighborhood too fast, the same for the ones blasting loud 'music'.
I call the cops when something wrong is happening.
I have walked trough New York City, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, London, Paris, Frankfurt AT NIGHT and not in the 'nice' neighborhoods.
The only place I ever -let myself- feel unsafe was Athens.

I abhor cowards and we are becoming a nation of cowards.

Jonesturtle said...

I'm glad you are proactive in your actions, but my point is you shouldn't have to do those things and you wouldn't have done those things (i.e. call the police) unless you were alarmed for some reason. I am far from cowardly and if you want to see what I have to face every day in Iraq, come on over for a while, I'll give you a tour.