Sunday, August 01, 2004

Near Disaster

Flight number three almost ended in disaster. Halfway through the battery life, one of the major input control pieces came loose which caused the helicopter to do its own thing. I didn't realize it happened though and I kept trying anyways. Finally after several rough landings I looked a little closer and noticed the loose piece. After a repair involving a small ziptie and having to adjust control rods to level out the rotor head, the problem was solved and flight four started. Flight four went great, but was ended early because of lack of light. I was hovering for over 30 seconds at a time and had the helicopter as high as my head a few times. I am somewhat concerned that the piece that came loose today was slightly damaged or at least made weak. I hope I can keep it flying quite a bit longer before needing major repairs.

No comments: