Friday, December 24, 2004

Questions from the troops

Rumsfeld visited Mosul today and I'm sure there are people out there that will say that troops were forced to keep their questions positive after the question that came from Kuwait. Well my opinion is that it is the difference between troops that are in Iraq and really knows what it is like and troops in Kuwait who only know what it is like through the media.

One of my favorite questions was "why doesn't the media do more reports are the humanitarian and reconstruction efforts that take place everyday?" That is what I would like to see since I know about many of them personally but have never seen anything about it on the public news channels. I have come to think it is reverse propaganda, which is really sad that a lot of people don't realize the obvious agenda of the media.

Imagine if it were breaking news when ever an American citizen died in a car crash caused by DUI and a huge emphasis was placed on how tragic it was and how each family was effected. The effect would be a public outcry to crack down on drinking and driving. That is what we have about the situation in Iraq. You focus on every death in an intimate way.

My point is not that soldiers shouldn't be honored for their sacrifice, I think it is great the amount of support soldiers receive from Americans. My point is that the true veterans of this war understand the real threat and see the purpose of their sacrifice first hand and would really like to share that with the world; but the press just won't let them. Off my soapbox :)

I have a true love for the Iraqi people and pray that we can accomplish our mission of bringing freedom and a better life to these people.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Well, I just think everyone is a little hard on Rummie. AFter all..he's only as good as his boss right? Maybe his hands are tied, he's the spokesperson, and gets all the grief. Maybe he can't say what he really WANTS to say?