Saturday, November 06, 2004

Is this really fair?

Now I don't like spam any better than any other person in the world, but it doesn't harm me in any way either. I can't believe this guy received 9 years in prison for sending out spam. 9 years! Now that is more than most rapists get. Did this guy really do something worse than rape? I'd personally rather see rapists and other criminals do longer and harder time, but when the court system get so backwards that we punish trivial crimes worse than violent crimes, something is really wrong.

Another good example is Martha Stuart. She got sentenced with a fine and her time in prison, yet one of the people that helped in the process to leak the information to Martha only got a fine. Now who really should have known better? If you had a lot of money invested in coca cola and your broker called you and said "coca cola is going belly up tomorrow, you should probably sell" what are you going to do? And if you did sell, did you do something worse than the person who's job it is to do investing and should definitely know better and was the one who seeked and offered the information in the first place?

I wish we could get our punishment system balanced out and additionally stop stupid lawsuits that reward people for their obvious ignorance. (i.e. The burglar suing the homeowner because they got hurt in their house while burglarizing it)

I guess this is just my rant for the day. The lesson is "Don't Spam! It's a serious crime."

1 comment:

Darnell Clayton said...

Sounds fair to me! (I hate spam) Well, stay safe over there...hearing lots of fighting in Fallujah. Selah!